Prof. Dr. Wael El-Degwy - Minister of Higher Education - approved the establishment of "City University of Cairo" and sent his letter, accompanied by a draft republican decree, to His Excellency the Prime Minister / Ibrahim Mahlab on March 17, 2014 in order to issue the republican decree before starting the establishment the university, then followed by the approval of the Council of Ministers in its session No. 5 held on 27/3/2014, with the announcement of these approvals in the print and visual media in the official newspapers on the same date, and then followed by the issuance of the President of the Republic’s decision No. 53 of 2020 regarding the establishment of a private university On behalf of City University of Cairo, this decision was published in the Official Gazette in its issue dated February 2, 2020.
The plot of land where "City University of Cairo" is situated can be found within the new city of Heliopolis along the Cairo-Suez desert road. It specifically lies between El Shorouk City at kilometer 44 and Badr City at kilometer 46.5. The land spans an area of 95583.88 square meters and is specifically designated for educational services in accordance with the city's planning boards. The construction of the university adhered to all building requirements ensuring the provision of high-quality education. The purchase of this land was conducted based on the aforementioned educational standards as well as the laws governing construction regulations such as Urban Planning Law No. 3 of 1982 Law No. 106 of 1976 (amended by Law 356 of 1977 and their accompanying implementing regulations.
· postgraduate Studies and Research Unit: encompasses various fields of study and research.
· Medical and Pharmaceutical Sciences Research Unit which focuses on studying medications and medical advancements.
· Animal Lab for conducting tests and experiments on animals to advance scientific understanding.
· The Engineering and Technology Research Unit focuses on research and development in the field of engineering and technology.
· Economic and Political Research Unit analyzes economic and political trends and their impact.
· The Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering Research Unit makes advancements in biotechnology and genetic engineering.
· African Research and Studies Unit focuses on studying various aspects of African culture history and society.
· The Media Research Unit explores the influence and impact of media in society.
· Energy and Natural Resources Applications Unit investigates the application of energy and natural resources.
· The Small Enterprises and Employment Unit focuses on supporting and promoting small businesses and employment opportunities.
· The Publishing and Translation Research Unit is dedicated to enhancing the field of publishing and translation.
· The Public Opinion Research Unit studies public opinion on various issues.
The City University of Cairo serves multiple purposes including education scientific research and community service all of which contribute to its overarching vision. With its emphasis on applied and environmental programs the university aims to graduate highly skilled individuals who can effectively contribute to production institutions. Moreover, it strives to strike a balance between its outputs and the evolving demands of various labor sectors. Through its educational programs the university actively pursues sustainable development goals and strives to cultivate a generation of young Arab and African individuals who can readily adapt to the ever-changing global landscape.
As for scientific research, the university endeavors to focus on practical applications and solutions particularly in industries and production. Its primary objective is to leverage the abundant natural resources available in the Arab and African region thereby promoting optimal utilization. Through collaborative research initiatives and programs, the university aims to address real-world issues and foster productive partnerships with other organizations and institutions. By doing so it seeks to facilitate knowledge exchange and contribute to the overall advancement of scientific endeavors in the region.
The strategic framework of the City University of Cairo is centered around recognizing the significance of the university's role in the progress of the city it is situated in, specifically the new city of Heliopolis and its neighboring areas. This approach not only mirrors the practices of universities in advanced nations, but also highlights their commitment to establishing a comprehensive and realistic timeline aligned with education policies in Egypt. Furthermore, it seeks to contribute to the development endeavors in the Arab and African regions by adhering to fundamental guidelines